When we set out to make an iPhone case, we knew it had to adhere to a couple guidelines -
• It had to be 100% leather—no inserts, elastic, or other materials—just full 4oz US tanned full grain leather, the same as all our other products. The experience had to be distinctly leather—the way it ages, molds, evolves, and patinas with use.
• It had to be fully functional—no slip covers. Screen, buttons, ports, sensors, cameras all had to be accessible and left functional. We even managed to sneak in a rear card pocket.
• It had to be slim—to be as non-intrusive to the iPhone's footprint as possible. We accomplished this by eliminating side-seams, which add to the width of the footprint.
It was a challenge, no doubt, but several months and more than a handful of prototypes later, we're super pleased to finally have it available.
* Choose 5S option for fingerprint ID compatibility.
Note: Please keep in mind this case is 100% natural cowhide which is a natural, organic material and carries variances in thickness, temper, stretch, etc. You should expect your experience with this case to be different than most phone cases you're used to. The process will perhaps be more akin to breaking in a pair of leather shoes. Please see the "Fitting Instructions" tab for info on getting the best fit for your phone.
- Full access to screen and all buttons/ports
- Convenient pocket on backside for cards, receipts, etc
- Cut and stitched from premium US tanned veg tan or English bridle leather
- Fully leather—no inserts, elastic, or other materials used
- Hand stitched and hand finished/burnished edges
- 5S option with exposed home button for fingerprint ID compatibility (shown in Veg Tan).
- Made in USA
- Non refundable once phone is fitted in case
Training and fitting your case
- The fit may be tight at first.
- When you initially fit your phone, this is your chance to train the leather to match up to all the ports and buttons correctly. Gently pull, stretch, and guide the leather to center up with everything. Be especially careful of the thinner strips when doing this.
- Check to see that the cameras are free from obstruction.
- Check to see that the proximity sensors are free from obstruction - Make a phone call. The screen should deactivate when the phone is up to your ear and reactivate when you pull it away.
- Check to see that buttons/ports are free from obstruction and useable.
- Continue to check fit for a few days until the leather has settled and is starting to mold to the phone.
- Wet molding will speed this process up and yield a tight, molded fit but does require extra care in the process.
- Dampen your the leather, set out to dry. This may take several hours.
- Wait until the leather is nearly dry, where it's just a little damp to the touch.
- Slide phone in, carefully mold case to phone, ensuring all ports, buttons, cameras, and sensors are free as described above.
- Be very careful when handling leather in it's damp state as it will be extremely pliable and will easily take on scratches or get misshapen.
Do this at your own risk. We will be glad to help you or give suggestions/answer questions but ultimately, are not responsible for your results.
Vegetable Tanned Leather (Veg Tan, Bark Tan) - Refers to leather that has been tanned using tannin and other ingredients found in tree bark and other vegetable matter. This method of tanning has been in existence for thousands of years. Left un-dyed (natural), this leather will age in color dramatically, specific to it's owner's use. This makes for a very personal product that will evolve along with you. Natural veg tan leather darkens with exposure to sun, natural oils (animal oils applied to condition, oil from your hands, etc), and water.
English bridle leather is a vegetable tanned leather that has been drum dyed and hot stuffed with waxes and tallows. This creates a rugged yet beautiful leather with water resistant qualities. English bridle has a smooth and slightly waxy hand that breaks in beautifully and grows more supple with use. Truly a leather that only gets better with age.