December 29, 2012
I love coffee. I love denim. I love travel. So when the guys at 3Sixteen approached me about helping them develop and produce a run of custom travel kits for a special project with Handsome Coffee Roasters, it was an absolute no brainer.
The assignment was fairly loose—to create a carrying case for a travel kit which included an Aeropress, digital scale, mini hand grinder, and of course, a 12 oz bag of delicious, perfectly roasted little pellets from heaven (aka coffee beans). I went through a couple iterations of different designs but wasn't feeling 100% on them when I found myself spacing out and staring at a take out box I'd brought home for lunch. Lightbulb! I was pretty excited about the idea and quickly drew up some sketches/plans. I presented the idea to the 3Sixteen and Handsome guys who signed off on the idea, and after a couple prototypes and a little back and forth, we were all set.
They sold out surprisingly fast, but keep an eye out on the Handsome and 3Sixteen sites for possible restocks. Below are some shots of the production process:
It all starts here with a side of Chromexcel, straight from Horween.
More hand cutting.
And finally on to everything else:
• 100% handmade here in our studio on Vashon Island, Washington
• Constructed entirely from Chromexcel
• Brass double capped rivets w/leather washers on inside
• Unique quad flap closure with adjustable strap and brass buckle
• Inner pockets/dividers to organize kit contents
• Available exclusively through 3Sixteen's site, Handsome Coffee's HQ in LA, as well as their online store
Sign up to get the latest on new releases, restocks, and more …
OUT OF TOWN
We're out of the studio from 4/21-5/1. Be sure to check out the details on our Shipping page (click this banner) before placing an order.